Saturday, September 11, 2010

Basil Water...?


It's called Basil Tea.
Was this the first time you read that Basil could be taken in the form of Tea?

It's my first when my Malay driver told me, as he saw me with my bouquet of Basil flowers ;) The Malays believed it to be a mild health drink for intestinal problems, headaches and ulcers. Having also anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory health benefits.

We used Basil mainly as an herb plant for seasoning in cooking. Being a source of vitamin K, Iron, Calcium and other nutrients, i was unhesitant in making the Basil Tea. The Tea was simply prepared by boiling the herb (leaves, stems and flowers) in water for several minutes. Rock Sugar or candied Winter Melon strips added as a sweetener.

Praises were all for the subduedly soothing Basil Tea.

No comments: