Sunday, March 9, 2008

What McDonalds mean to me...

Was having breakfast today at McDonald's restaurant when emotions flood me of my childhood times, of me and my hamburger...

Dining at fast food restaurant was far from our little minds then.

My father working as a carpenter was the sole breadwinner. It was until mom started working as a factory production worker did we have a schooling daily allowance of 4o cents. For each of our primary education years, we got an increase of 10 cents :)

So my sister and i save up on whatever we could spare, and on occasion where we planned a visit to the second hand bookstore at Coronation Plaza, we would always visit the McDonalds at Serene Centre.

Each time my sister would have the Filet-O-Fish burger while i only allow myself to splurge on the hamburger which was the cheapest burgers available at the minimum cost of $1.10.

Limited as we are, my sister was not stingy. Seeing my repeated choice of hamburger, she offered me a taste of hers; assuring me it's definitely tastier than the hamburger. This i know. But i told her i still prefer the hamburger :)

Till today, i still miss the taste then. The taste of happiness a simple hamburger and close kinship can bring.

No comments: